Coroners Court


Counselling services

A counselling session

Forensic Medicine Social Work service

If you have been affected by a death that is being investigated by the coroner, we offer our sincere condolences during this very difficult time.

The Forensic Medicine Service has a team of specialist social workers who can assist you and your family with emotional and practical support.

The social work service provides client-focused, short-term, early intervention support for people experiencing a sudden, unexpected death. It assists people with adversities arising as a direct result of their bereavement and manage the impact on their lives.

They can help you with a range of things such as:

  • Understanding the Coronial and post-mortem processes
  • Facilitating access to information around the cause of death
  • Support formal identifications, viewings and memory collation
  • Grief support, guidance and resources for adults and children
  • Speaking with your school or workplace
  • Referrals to other support services or local counselling services, such as Support After Suicide Program.


You may feel that it is important to view your relative or friend. This will need to be arranged with your funeral director.

In certain circumstances, a viewing or formal identification can also be done at one of the Forensic Medicine facilities in Sydney, Newcastle or Wollongong. Speak with your Forensic Medicine social worker for more information.


Accessing counselling services in the community

Depending on where you live, access to a specialist bereavement counselling services may be limited. It's a good idea to make an appointment with your GP, community health service, hospital social worker or forensic medicine social worker, who can provide you with a referral to a counsellor in your local area.

Before meeting a counsellor, email them to discuss your situation and find out what their experience and approach might be to supporting you and your family with your particular needs. Be prepared to explore your option to find the 'best fit' for you.

You can also seek assistance through:
1300 224 636

1300 659 467

13 11 14


Contact details

The Forensic Medicine Social Work Service operates Monday-Friday during business hours.

It has an after-hours service on weekends for urgent cases and formal identifications/viewings which are made my appointment.

Forensic Medicine - Sydney


Forensic Medicine & Corners Court Complex

1A Main Ave



Corner of Main Ave and Joseph Street


02 9563 9000


Forensic Medicine – Newcastle

John Hunter Hospital Campus

Rosella Close


02 4935 9700



4921 3000 (weekends)

Forensic Medicine - Wollongong


Wollongong Hospital Campus
Loftus Street
Wollongong NSW 2500




02 4925 4501 (Mon –Fri)



4222 5000 (weekends)


and ask to speak to the on call social worker


More information on Forensic Medicine Services is available here